Emails come all day long – sometimes Really inconvenient moments. If you don’t have time to edit an email when it appears, or if you’d like to use it later and fear that you’ll forget it, you can use Gmail’s snooze feature.
When you fall asleep, an email disappears for a while and appears at the top of your inbox at a time you choose, as if you were receiving it again.
Here's how to disable your email.
Snooze emails in your browser
- Hover over the email you want to disable in your inbox. On the right side you will see a series of symbols. Click on the one that looks like a watch.
- Alternatively, you can select the message or messages you want to disable using the check boxes and then click the clock icon that appears above the inbox
- You can also find the clock icon at the top of the screen when you open the email
- In any case, if you click the clock icon, a drop-down list of suggested times will appear. Click the one that suits you best.
- If none of the times shown match when the message was received, you can click "Select Date and Time" in the drop-down menu below to set your own. A popup window will open. When you have selected your time and date, click "Save".
- The email disappears from your inbox and is displayed at the top again at the time you selected
- If you would like to be reminded which emails you have deactivated, you can access them by clicking on "Snoozed" under "Inbox" on the left.
- To undo a snoozed email, open it in the snoozed folder and click "Unsnooze" at the top of the screen
Snooze emails in the mobile app
These instructions are for an iPhone, but the steps for Android are similar.
- Open the Gmail app
- Open an email and tap the three dots in the right corner of the screen (not the message).
- If you don't have to read it first, you can hold the message in your inbox until you see a check, and then tap the three dots in the top right corner. You can do this for multiple messages at the same time if you want to disable them at the same time.
- At the top of the menu that appears, select “Snooze”
- Select one of the suggested times in the pop-up window or tap "Select date and time".
- Set the date. Then tap "Time" and then "Custom …" to select the time you will receive it. Tap Next when you're done.
- Tap "Save" in the top right (for iPhone) or "Save" in the bottom right (for Android).
- All of your snoozed emails are in the snoozed folder, which you can access by tapping the three bars on the left in the search bar at the top of the inbox
- To deactivate a message, go to the "Snoozed" folder, open the message, tap the three dots in the top right corner of the screen, and then tap "Deactivate".